After surgery for colon cancer, your sex life is probably going to be alright, according to colorectal surgeon and surgical oncologist Dr. Heather Yeo. While doctors typically recommend you don’t participate in any sexual activity immediately after a surgery, most people can expect to be back to normal after their recovery period. However, with rectal cancer, there are some risks associated with taking out part of the rectum. Men may experience erectile dysfunction or retrograde ejaculation, and women may have fertility issues. Young women with colorectal cancer who are considering getting pregnant in the future may want to set up a meeting with a fertility specialist. Bottom line, your sex life after colon cancer will typically be okay, but check in with your oncologist to know for sure.
SurvivorNet Fact Checking and Medical Review Standards:
The SurvivorNet News Team creates high quality medical information that complies with our industry leading standards for factual accuracy and sourcing from leading experts at academic medical institutions. Every news article is thoroughly fact-checked by our physician collaborators. We vet each piece of work for factual integrity, impartiality, and clearly label any professional conflicts.
All SurvivorNet articles adhere to the following standards:
- All studies and research papers cited are from reputable academic medical institutions or peer-reviewed journals.
- When we use data, statistics, or quotes these references link to the original source.
- All content related to new treatments, drugs, procedures, and so on must clearly describe availability, side effects, treatment target (such as triple negative breast cancer)
- All medical information on SurvivorNet is sourced from respected medical professionals with verified medical credentials and links are provided to these sources.
- We strive to give the reader relevant background information and include, clearly-sourced contextual health information in all articles. Readers are clearly alerted to any conflicts of interest from a medical source or the authors of a cited study.
Your Sex Life is Probably Going to be OK After Colon Cancer Surgery
Introducing, the Journey Bar
Use this bar to access information about the steps in your cancer journey.