What To Ask Your Doctor
- It is important to prepare for your cancer journey. Ask your doctor the right questions for each step.
- Ask about your diagnosis, it may help you feel more in control. Ask your healthcare team for more information about your specific type of bladder cancer.
- Ask about your treatment options. Knowing what to expect during treatment will help you plan ahead for any additional care or support you may need during this time.
Knowing what to expect during and after treatment can help relieve stress and make a difficult experience more manageable. It also gives you time to plan and make arrangements for any care you may need.Read More
“You need to develop a relationship with your urologist because once you have bladder cancer, you need to have someone that’s following you regularly for the rest of your life.”
Asking questions helps you learn more about your healthcare team’s experience treating bladder cancer and begin forming a relationship with them. Your doctor should be happy to answer your questions, so don’t hesitate to speak up.
Understanding Your Bladder Cancer Diagnosis
Learning more about your diagnosis can help you feel in control. Ask your healthcare team for more information about your specific type of bladder cancer.
- What type of cancer do I have?
- What stage is the cancer?
- Has the cancer spread to other organs? If so, where?
- What does my prognosis look like?
- Should I see a genetic counselor for testing?
- Should any of my family members be tested?
- Will I have a better chance of success if I travel to a cancer treatment center instead of seeing a local urologist?
- Should I consider getting a second opinion?
Understanding Your Bladder Cancer Treatment
You will also want to ask about your treatment options. Knowing what to expect during treatment will help you plan ahead for any additional care or support you may need during this time.
- What are my treatment options?
- How soon should I begin treatment?
- How will you determine which treatment is best for me?
- What are the potential side effects of each treatment?
- What are the potential risks of treatment?
- How will we know if treatment is working?
- What’s the goal of this treatment? Will it cure me of cancer, control the disease or stop it from coming back?
- What is the expected recovery time with each treatment option?
- How long will treatment last?
- Do you recommend clinical trials? Why or why not?
- Will treatment affect my ability to have children? If so, what are my options for preserving my fertility?
- Will I be able to work while receiving treatment?
- Can I continue to have sex during treatment?
- Should I make arrangements for child care/elder care during treatment?
Understanding Bladder Cancer Recovery
Recovery looks different for everyone. It is important to ask about the recovery process so you know what to expect after treatment ends.
You may even want to discuss these questions with your family or caregivers so they are aware of any changes you may experience during recovery.
- What can I expect during my recovery period?
- When can I return to work and my normal routine?
- What will my follow-up schedule look like?
- What cancer screenings do I need after treatment?
- Should I worry about bladder cancer recurrence?
- How will my quality of life differ after treatment?
Finding Bladder Cancer Support
Support is important during and after cancer treatment. Ask your doctor about community organizations, support groups and other resources to help you connect with others.
- Are there any resources available specifically for bladder cancer patients?
- Should I speak with other patients who have had the same diagnosis?
- Are there any support groups in my area?
- Are there resources for paying medical bills?
- Who should I contact for more information regarding these resources?
- How do I find out what my insurance will/won’t cover?
Adjusting to Life with Cancer
The time after you leave the doctor’s office can be filled with new emotions and concerns. You may want to consider asking your healthcare team about what to expect over the short and long term.
- Are there any lifestyle changes I should make before starting treatment?
- Will diet or exercise improve my chance of success?
- Is there anything else I need to know about my cancer journey?
Finding Hope after a Bladder Cancer Diagnosis
Knowledge is power. By asking your doctor these questions, you can learn more about your bladder cancer diagnosis and make informed decisions about your treatment options. Remaining positive throughout your journey will help you successfully manage your symptoms and take advantage of opportunities for support.
Get the answers to all of your questions so you can start your bladder cancer journey with the peace of mind that comes from knowing what to expect.