Olympian Rachel Malmberg says her lung cancer was caused by radon. Did you know that according to the National Cancer Institute, radon is the second leading environmental cause of lung cancer?
When she was just 31 years old, former USA women’s ice hockey star Rachel Malmberg was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. At the time of diagnosis, Malmberg was healthy, she didn’t smoke, she exercised regularly, and she had absolutely no idea that pain she began to feel in her back and ribs could be due to lung cancer.Read More
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), radon present in a home at a level of 4 pCi/L has the potential to be dangerous, and should be addressed immediately. Malmberg’s childhood home had a level of 7.9 pCi/L, and the home she now shares with her husband and daughter in Minnesota had a level of 6.9 pCi/L, according to Fox News.
Research has been inconclusive about exactly how long someone needs to be exposed to radon for it to become dangerous, but for safety purposes, it’s worth it to make sure the levels in your home are OK. In Malmberg’s case, she has corrected the radon level in her home and installed a radon mitigation system — which reduces gas in homes and buildings, according to PEOPLE. She has also partnered with a company called Airthings — a system that can detect radon.
This month Malmberg launched a radon challenge, encouraging families to test the radon levels in their homes. “If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone,” she said in a video promoting the challenge.